Saturday, March 17, 2012

Request: Gene Burmington | Leading Man Main Theme

| »

Request from Gene Burmington
Leading Man Main Theme
Composed by Joé McKen
Posted: 2010 | Last updated: 03/17/12


(Adobe Flash required for audio player)

This is my half of an exchange I made with Gene Burmington. He asked me to compose a “main theme” for a story of his involving man who suddenly finds himself back in an alternate WWI-era England, where he’s forced to join the RAF and help out whilst getting involved in a steamy romance with a female pilot.

As with his story, the overlying themes for this piece are war and military, romance, and a bit of danger. He originally requested I make it sound sorta early 1900s-ish, but I chose not to on account that 1900s-era music sucks. (And because I can’t write it, anyway.) I’m quite pleased with how the piano turned out; it’s been a longstanding goal of mine. Also got to use the bassoon for the first time. It’s more versatile than I thought.

Written & recorded with Sibelius.

Changelog: (click the [+/-] to open/close →) []
  1. 03/17/12: Made a number of revisions, including some instrumentation and sounds (namely piano and cymbals), shortened the edgy middle a little, and a few technical details. The middle still sounds too long and repetitive, but heck if I know how to change or shorten it without throwing its progression out of whack.

You are free to use & share my music as long as I am credited as the original creator. Song(s) available upon request.